Underground Leak Detection
Do you suspect a watermain leak underground somewhere or have you had a high water bill lately?
We can locate and repair your water main leaks. We use leak detection equipment to literally listen to the ground to hear the leak. Once we find it we can dig and repair.
Standard Charge = $180+gst ($207 incl)
Minimum amount charged at the time of booking for Non Account Holders
After Hours Charge = $360+gst ($414 incl)
For noisy roads or commercial units we may need to attend after hours
Book Your Job
CREDIT CARD REQUIRED ($171.35 incl) Normally
- NON-Account holders are charged at the time of booking with a Credit Card over the phone
- ACCOUNT holders are invoiced following the job as per your account settings
Leak Detection Survey
- Arrange access to the house/unit - check off toilets, taps, and hot water cylinders for leaks
- Find and check water meter
- Use our specialist acoustic equipment to trace leak
- If leak is located, ground is marked with paint or crayon
Discuss Next Step
OUTCOMES WILL BE:
- Leak found on house plumbing (taps/toilet etc) not watermain – discuss repairs
- Leak found on watermain – discuss work to dig and repair
- Unable to locate leak –
- discuss and quote watermain replacement options
– Due to the nature of this work, there are times when we may need to reschedule your job. These may include rain, access related delay, previous job taking longer than expected, or staff availability. If this happens we will do our best to communicate as soon as possible and rebook your job for our next available time. You will have the option to rebook or request a refund if paid in advance.
2. LOCATION ACCURACY - We cannot guarantee we will find the leak, and any location we mark may not be the exact location of the leak. There are numerous factors that can affect our equipment and give false readings – any marked area is our best attempt only.
3. NO LEAK FOUND - If we are unable to locate the leak You will still be charged our leak detection fee.
4. EXCESSIVE NOISE AREAS - We are not able to conduct leak detection if there is excessive noise including busy roads/vehicles/worksites/air conditioning as this affects our ability to hear with our equipment. These jobs will require after hours call out. We may be able to determine this ahead of your job, however if we attend site you will be charged the call out.
5. QUOTING FURTHER WORK – We will email you an estimate to carry out any repair work required – or discuss while onsite. Our ability to begin your repair will depend on our current workload, and any delay in you approving our estimate. This could be a few days following our initial visit.
6. CHARGES - Any plumbing repairs to be carried out are charged on top of our leak detection fee. Further work will be invoiced due in 7 days.
7. REFUNDS – Non account customers who are charged a payment in advance via credit card can be refunded if cancelled with 24 hours notice in writing. If less than 24 hours notice we reserve the right to charge 50%. Account holders have no cancellation for cancelling leak detection call outs.
How Do I Know If I Have A Water Main Leak?
Your water main ie the water pipe that comes to your house under ground can spring a leak like any other pipe. The issue is it's underground so you might not even know about it. Don't worry however, there are ways to tell if you have a leak on this pipe and we can help you sort it out.
Always review your monthly water bills, these tell you how much water you are using and checking them regularly will tell you if there is an unusual increase in usage. Also Watercare will let you know if they also notice a spike in your water usage and suggest you call a plumber.
Another way to tell, is that you may notice a wet sodden area in the garden or grass, or water seeping/bubbling up that doesn't seem to ever dry up.
If you have any questions call us today and we can help you find out what to do next - 0800 426 444.
How to do a water meter test
Doing a leak test on your meter is easy and can save you a call out for a plumber.
To do a leak test find a couple of hours or even 30 min when you won't use the water. This can be overnight or during the day if you are at work.
Locate your water meter and check the serial number etched into it against your Watercare bill. Record the numbers in RED on the dial. These indicate 100's L / 10's L / 1L / and 0.1L. Then just wait for a while and read it again. if the dial has turned and no one has been using water, then the water is running/leaking somewhere and then give us a call. 0800 426444
CALL US TODAY 0800426444
Why Do Water Mains Leak?
Your water main has most likely been there since the house was built. Some houses this could be 30+ years ago. Any pipe used has a lifespan of 25-30 years, and when it gets older it is more prone to bursting. We also find once one burst has been repaired, then next weakest point on the pipe can burst soon after. At some point the decision might need to be to replace the entire water main.